Skip to main content

Best Foods to Help You Sleep

Do you have a difficult time sleeping? Do you toss and turn in your bed? Do you wake up early and feel tired? Millions of people have the same problem. For these people, falling and staying asleep doesn't come naturally. As a result, they feel tired, weak and are in poor health.  One possible reason why this is so is because of their diet.


Experts say that quality sleep depends on what you eat. To get a good night’s sleep, it’s important to calm your brain. You can do this by eating the right foods. Just as some foods keep you awake, certain foods can help you sleep.  Foods that promote sleep are those that contain tryptophan - an amino acid that the body uses to make serotonin and melatonin. These are neurotransmitters that relax your brain.

Tryptophan is vital for the production of these sleep-inducing neurotransmitters. You can increase the body’s production of tryptophan simply by eating foods that have this substance. Doing so drives more tryptophan to the brain that will help you sleep.

The best way to do this is to combine tryptophan-rich foods with those rich in carbohydrates. Eating more  carbohydrates causes your body to release insulin. This, in turn, drives other amino acids away from your brain. As a result, tryptophan is left with little competition.

What foods are rich in tryptophan? There’s a lot actually. The list includes beans, whole grains, lentils, chickpeas, hazel nuts, peanuts, eggs, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and miso or fermented soy beans. You’ll also find tryptophan in unsweetened soy milk and raw dairy products. If your evening snack includes these foods together with carbohydrate-rich foods, your body will have a good amount of serotonin and you’ll sleep soundly. 

Comments

  1. Oh! great timing! always waking up tired thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beans and nuts but not milks since I'm lactose-intolerant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a hard time sleeping. I always attribute it to my hyperthyroidism. Now, I think I will drink a glass of soya milk before bedtime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love milk and soya milk, same with daughter and my hubby. But then, I'm one of the lucky ones who falls asleep as soon as the head touches the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love soya milk! It's better also if your room or bed will attract you to sleep. And avoid sweets hours before bedtime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this.This is very timely cause I've been having a little problem in sleeping these past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Timely! I needed a good night sleep.. I've been lacking that for weeks now..

    But I'll go for the nuts..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the information.. I'll go for the nuts.. I needed to have a good night sleep..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this, my husband can't sleep on some days..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, beans and nuts. That's why I'm a good sleeper, I can sleep everywhere, because I love to eat peanuts and stringbeans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wake up tired...but I figured it's more because of my work schedule than the food I eat. Thanks for sharing this info, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting! Will the recommended food also improve the quality of sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will forward this to my husband who always stays late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this as I need this sometimes when I wake up at 2 am I have trouble going back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment